After years of being brainwashed into thinking that fat was making us fat and ill, it turns out that sugar was always the root cause of many illnesses from diabetes to obesity, heart disease, depression, acne, and even infertility and impotence. In addition, flour – including whole-wheat – is even worse as it raises blood sugar more than refined sugar.
Sugar is 8 times more addictive than heroine and acts on neurotransmitters and hormones that trigger sugar cravings and overeating.
Sugar consumption actually causes the same changes in your brain as more well-known addictive drugs like cocaine, morphine and heroine!…
Here are some tips to help you kick the habit and reset your neurotransmitters and hormones– in just over a week:
- Go cold turkey for 10 days – Like with other drugs, the only way to stop sugar addictions (and cravings) is to just stop having them. So cut out all sugars, sweeteners and grains (all wheat, rice, oats etc). That includes the ‘better ‘sweet options like honey, agave syrup or stevia, dried fruit, xylitol and maple syrup..however lovely they are.
- Eat as many vegetables as you want and can – These will counter the acidity of the extra protein you’re going to consume and will give you lots of essential nutrients you need to recover from the depletion you’ll have suffered from eating too much sugar. The greener the better and avoid all potatoes (sweet ones too), root vegetables, pulses and grains (just for 10 days)
- Eat protein: nuts, seeds, quinoa, eggs, fish, organic chicken and grass fed meat – about 5 times a day (palm-sized portion at each meal/snack). Use hemp or pea protein powders in shakes/smoothies to top up.
- Fill up on good fats: They’ll make you feel satisfied and fuller for longer and your body will use them for energy: nuts, seeds, olive oil (cold), coconut oil, ghee, oily fish, avocadoes.
- Meditation/yoga/deep breathing: stress increases our dependence on sugar and other addictive substances.
- Organise yourself – don’t get caught hungry without the ‘right’ food at hand. So always have in your bag some snacks like almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, high protein crackers (as in this recipe) and a jar of almond/cashew nut butter.
- Reduce inflammation: it triggers blood sugar imbalances, insulin resistance, and is caused by other foods other than sugar like salt, dairy and gluten. So go salt, dairy and gluten free for 10 days. You can do it!
- Get your zzzs: Get enough sleep otherwise you’ll be cravings more carbs and sugar. ‘Hunger’ hormones will increase if you lose even only 2 hours of sleep every night (ideally an adult should sleep 8 hours every night). So sleep away the cravings 🙂 Read this article to help with your sleep!
It’s only 10 days – you can do this! And don’t forget – if you find this difficult or scary: I can help to devise a plan for you that will be tailored to your needs and will ease you into this program.
Do you want help to transform your gut or any other health issue?
If you’ve tried many things and want a more holistic, natural approach that combines body, mind, spirit, check the programs I offer in my ‘services’