Gentlemen..say hello to andropause
You’ve all heard about how a sudden drop in oestrogen causes women to go through the menopause but did you know that a natural gradual decline in testosterone will cause men to go through andropause?
Gentlemen, if you are in your late 40s – 50s and feeling low libido, low energy, depression, mood swings, loss of muscle mass and increased belly fat, you might want to incorporate some of these into your day-to-day habits:
- Watch your waistline: no more indulging in those pints, sugar and comfort foods: obesity greatly increases andropause symptoms and can lead to heart-damaging insulin resistance – cut out sugar and high-GI carbs (mainly white grains and sugars)
- Intermittent fasting: Try eating strictly only within an 8-hour window in the day (ie: 10am-6pm). Start with a 12-hour window first and work you way gradually to the 8 hours. (not recommended if you suffer from diabetes)
- Reduce inflammation: eat plenty of omega-3 rich foods like oily fish, seeds, green vegetables; increase antioxidants: incorporate 6-8 servings daily of colourful vegetables (& 1-2 servings of fruit); add a tsp of turmeric (+ 1 pinch of black pepper) to your daily green smoothie.
- Move more: exercise in short intense bursts 4-5 times a week (Hiit style exercise & weights) rather than inflammation-inducing long cardio sessions.
- Essential nutrient support: include zinc, krill or fish oil, B5 & 6, Vitamin C, D3.
- Relax more: include adrenal boosting meditation, deep breathing, yoga, etc to your daily routine.
Life can get better at 50…!
Do you want help to transform your gut or any other health issue?
If you’ve tried many things and want a more holistic, natural approach that combines body, mind, spirit, check the programs I offer in my ‘services’