Tip #2 Healthy lunch boxes
Crisps, chocolate bars, sweet drinks/milks and cakes/biscuits are not going to give your child the energy they need to recuperate from a long morning of learning and will not sustain them for the rest of the afternoon. If anything, these foods will only make them sleepy after lunch as their bodies are trying to ‘deal’ with the overload of sugar, salt, bad fats, colourings and preservatives.
If your child is reluctant to try new foods and brings them back home, give it to them after school as a snack when they’re really hungry and don’t have to impress their peers.
Here are some lunch-box options:
- Replace white bread with wholemeal and make sandwiches with:
- Tuna+sweetcorn+mayo/tinned sardines in oil/tomato sauce
- When you roast a chicken or beef/lamb, freeze some of the cooked meat and put in sandwiches with lettuce/cucumber/tomatoes
- Always use butter instead of margarine
- Nut/seed butters (without sugar) are great in sandwiches
- Variation to sandwiches:
- Cut up vegetables and bits of pitta/bread sticks with houmous
- Omelette (with vegetables inside) cut in cubes and put through a wooden skewer/a plastic straw or in pieces in a box – keep it cool
- Falafel and houmous with vegetables
- Edamame/soya peas are great as a ‘side’–cooked for a few minutes
- Sweet potato wedges dipped in cream cheese (softened with a bit of milk)
- Rice cakes instead of bread
- Plain yogurt with fresh mixed berries
- Wholewheat pancakes with nut/seed butter inside
- Lots of fresh and dried fruits for pudding
- Avoid salty foods such as marmite (use occasionally and spread very thinly!), or smoked salmon, smoked meats. Cheese: occasionally as it’s also very salty.
- Non-organic ham and sausages are full of harmful nitrites (preservatives) and organic ham/sausages are loaded with salt, so have these only very occasionally!
- Lots of water only to drink.
[contact-form subject='[New Leaf Nutrition – Nutrition and Food Intolerance Testing – Brighton %26amp; Hove’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]