Comforting Delicious Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Who said comfort food had to be naughty and bad for you?? Here’s a great, easy, quick recipe for my top favourite winter comfort dish.. Root vegetables are great to strengthen and improve digestion by lowering the amount of acidity in the body and stimulating the growth of healthy gut flora.. Freeze uneaten portions.
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped (white potatoes can replace these but sweet potatoes are best for you)
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 celery stalks, trimmed and finely sliced
1 tbsp herbes de Provence.
2 garlic cloves chopped finely
350g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into bite-size pieces
450 ml vegetable stock (make your own or buy Marigold)
500gms cooked beans/lentils of your choice (cook them separately after soaking them overnight with 1-2 teaspoons bic.of sodium, rinse well then cook with a piece of kombu seaweed – remove the kombu before eating)
2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 courgettes, trimmed and sliced
2tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- preheat oven to 200c/gas mark 6
- steam or boil sweet potatoes for 10-15 min until very tender
- place 2 tbsp water in a medium sized saucepan with the oil, celery, garlic, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the squash/carrots and herbes de Provence, cook for another 2 min, stirring frequently. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer gently for 10 min.
- Add the cooked beans, peppers, courgettes, chopped tomatoes and simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Add the parsley when all cooked.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and mash with 1 Tbsp of olive oil, some chopped fresh parsley and 1 pinch of seasalt.
- Transfer the filling to a pie dish and top with the sweet potato mash.
- Add a few dollops of coconut oil on top and bake for 10-15 minutes until the sweet potatoes begin to brown. Serve immediately with steamed green vegetables or a salad.
Do you want help to transform your gut or any other health issue?
If you’ve tried many things and want a more holistic, natural approach that combines body, mind, spirit, check the programs I offer in my ‘services’